Psalm 130 - Out of the Depths
Psalm 130 - Out of the Depths (Walk it Out Series)
Lost at sea - a metaphor for sinking under guilt
Listen to Sunday's message HERE
A universal problem
- The world’s ways to handle guilt
- change the rules to eliminate
- remove the concept
- God’s entire plan of salvation is the removal of guilt
“The truth is that no one is more committed to having your soul free from guilt as much as God is.”
Psalm 130 is a prayer to help lead us out of guilt. Our souls were not intended to carry guilt - so God sent his son to set us free from it.
When we are lost at sea, this song teaches us three steps to safety.
Cry Out for Mercy - undeserved favor.
Repentance is involved and is the shift from having our backs toward God while we are looking to something or someone else for help to turning around and facing God and looking to him for our help.
Wait for the Lord - “like watchmen for the morning.”
God ordains delay and uses our waiting to strengthen our faith.
We increase our dependence on God in our waiting.
The OT’s “wait” is the NT’s “rest.”
Hope in His Redemption
Hope is the basis for our future
Our hope is in God’s steadfast love
With God there is plentiful redemption - more than enough! With a never ending supply!
Walk it Out
- Have you ever felt "lost at sea"? In what way?
- In what ways do you struggle with guilt?
- How are you tempted to look to "other gods" for forgiveness or redemption?
- Do you find yourself in a season of waiting? In what areas are you learning to grow in your faith during the wait? What challenges do you face in the wait? What scriptural promises are you clinging to (like a life jacket) during your wait?
- What do waiting and resting have in common?
- Look up scriptures about God's steadfast love - what do they say? How do they apply to your guilt, shame, waiting?
- Take time to pray for one another - crying out to God for mercy!
More in Blog
November 19, 2020New Meeting Time Beginning Sunday, November 22 at 2pm
November 13, 2020Communion & Important Meeting Change Details
October 28, 2020Two-Day Fast Prayer List